‘’Light and delicious muffins made with healthy nourishing ingredients’’
- Serves 12
- Prepare in 20 minutes
- Bake in 20-25 minutes
- 1 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
- ½ cup chopped almonds or walnuts
- ⅓ cup or 1 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cabbage (260g-280g) grated (about two leveled cups of grated cabbage)
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon – zest of ½ lemon and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup or 4 tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
- 12 walnut halves (optional)
Line the muffin tin with baking paper or with muffin cups. Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F / 6 Gas
Sift the cocoa powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda and mix with almond meal and chopped nuts.
Whisk together the eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract and maple syrup for about 4 minutes until creamy.
Gently fold the dry ingredients into the batter, followed by the shredded cabbage.
Fill the muffin cups with the mixture and place walnut halves on each muffin.
Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes (until knife comes out clear) Do not open the oven door in first 20 minutes, otherwise the batter will sink.
Allow to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge or freeze for up to 1 month.