This recipe might sound a bit odd but trust me, you can not taste the spinach at all. The rich flavour of chocolate and the fragrance of spices makes you forget that you are actually eating vegetables.
You will need a food processor though as all raw ingredients are mixed and chopped together.
However, this is a very quick and healthy alternative to German Lebkuchen which is originally made with flour, honey and nuts.
Please plan ahead and defrost your spinach completely overnight or a couple of hours before baking.
Author: Mirka at Home of Loving Treats
Preparation time: about 20 minutes
Baking time: 35-40 minutes
Equipment: Food processor at least 1,4L bowl capacity
Cuts into about 30 squares
- 12 medjool dates (+ ½ cup of honey/maple syrup if you are not concerned about carbs and prefer sweeter taste)
- 400g frozen spinach (thaw completely, squeeze out excess water. You will be left with 230g of dry spinach or 1 ½ cup)
- 1 raw sweet potato – 180g (about 2 cups of grated sweet potato)
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons mixed spices (or Lebkuchen spices)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt – preferably Himalayan or unrefined sea salt
- 70g or ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 70g chocolate at least 70% cocoa for decorating
- desiccated coconut, nuts or berries for decoration
Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
Soak the dates in hot water for 10-15 minutes.
Line a 30 x 23 x 4 cm (12 x 9 x 1 ½ inch) tray with baking paper.
Grate the sweet potato with a food processor.
Mix and sift the cocoa powder with the bicarbonate of soda and put aside.
Attach the knife blade to the food processor and add all ingredients including the drained dates. Blend for 4-5 minutes until it reaches creamy consistency.
Put the batter in a large bowl and gently fold in the sifted cocoa powder and baking soda. Do not over mix.
Add the cranberries and give it a last couple of folds. Immediately pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes in the center of a preheated oven.
The cake is ready when the inserted knife comes out clear.
While the cake is still hot, put the chopped chocolate on top and spread once melted.
Decorate with chopped nuts, desiccated/shredded coconut or berries.
Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to a month.
If you wish you can replace the cranberries with other types of berries or leave them out completely. Another alternative is to add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts.
With love Mirka x